ok...if you can make it through all these lists, then all the power to you. our personal lists will be posted very soon. happy holidays!
The good homie Kendall over at SSDT is putting together an epic list for his top 50 songs of 2008, excluding any and all remixes. Not only is he making a list, he has provided an mp3 download of all his tracks.
The Bloody Beetroots – Rombo
The Bloody Beetroots – Butter
Justice – Planisphere Parts 1 through 4
The Golden Filter – Solid Gold
The Phantom’s Revenge – Moondancer
Surkin – Chrome Knight ft. Dave 1
A-Trak – Say Whoa
BURNS – Make Love
Beni – My Love Sees You
Miami Horror – Summerfest ’86
Miami Horror – Make You Mine
Bag Raiders – Shooting Stars
Ladyhawke – Dusk Til Dawn
Ladyhawke – My Delirium
Cut Copy – Hearts On Fire
Cut Copy – Far Away
Cut Copy – Out There On Thin Ice
Empire of the Sun – Walking On A Dream
Empire of the Sun – Standing On The Shore
Empire of the Sun – Swordfish Hotkiss Night
BMX – WAR
Kid Sister – Get Fresh
T-Pain – Can’t Believe It ft. Lil’ Wayne
Lil’ Wayne – 3 Peat
The Count & Sinden – Hardcore Girls ft. Rye Rye
Wale – The Kramer
Young Jeezy – Put On ft. Kanye West
Kanye West – Street Lights
Dizzee Rascal – Dance Wiv Me ft. Calvin Harris
Herve & A-Trak – Roll With The Winners
Lil’ Wayne – Let The Beat Build
Kid Cudi – T.G.I.F. ft. Chip The Ripper
Debonair Samir – Freaky Girl
Metronomy – Heartbreaker
Magistrates – Make This Work
Ghostland Observatory – Freeheart Lover
Boy Crisis – L’homme
Bloc Party – Mercury
Starfucker – German Love
Black Kids – Look At Me (When I Rock Wichoo)
Cansei De Ser Sexy – Move
The Ting Tings – Shut Up and Let Me Go
Tokyo Police Club – Tessellate
Priors – What You Need
Lykke Li – Breaking It Up
Lykke Li – I’m Good I’m Gone
The Twelves – Works For Me
Little Boots – Meddle
N.E.R.D. – You Know What
Sam Sparro – 21st Century Life
Top 15 Albums Of The Year
15. Thrice - The Alchemy Index (III & IV)
14. Russian Circles - Station
13. Fall Out Boy - Folie A Deux
12. No Age - Nouns
11. Butch Walker - Sycamore Meadows
10. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak
9. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
8. City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love
7. The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
6. Arrows - Modern Art & Politics
5. Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell
4. Portugal. The Man - Censored Colors
3. Copeland - You Are My Sunshine
2. Forgive Durden - Razia's Shadow
1. Lydia – Illuminate
Best EPs of 2008
10. Thursday/Envy - Split
9. There For Tomorrow - There For Tomorrow
8. Eye Alaska - Yellow & Elephant
7. New Found Glory - Tip Of The Iceberg
6. Past Lives - Strange Symmetry
5. The Cool Kids - The Bake Sale
4. Maps & Atlases - You And Me And The Mountain
3. Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant
2. Animal Collective - Water Curses
1. Manchester Orchestra - Let My Pride Be What's Left Behind
Biggest Disappointments of 2008
10. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
9. Underoath - Lost In The Sound Of Seperation
8. Thieves & Villains - Movement
7. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
6. The Killers - Day & Age
5. Jason Mraz - We Dance, We Sing, We Steal Things
4. The Academy Is... - Fast Times At Barrington High
3. Common - Universal Mind Control
2. Weezer - Weezer (Red Album)
1. Anberlin - New Surrender
Evol Intent - Era of Diversion - Serious heat from the guys that remixed The Sound of Animals Fighting’s "The Heretic." TSOAF does a track called "The Curtain Falls," it’s like glitch mixed with m83. WTF.
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago – “Skinny Love,” if you haven’t heard it, go find someone quick. You’re going to want to make out.
Department of Eagles - In Ear Park - You'd have to be fucking kidding me not to like this.
Dosh - Wolves & Wishes - Anticon produces another win with Dosh. Huge. Huge. Huge.
In the vein of Explosions in the Sky. Or like Battles staggering around Texas fucked up on lean.
Alias - Resurgam LP - Again, another Anticon Gem.
Wall-E - If you can't get laid while watching this movie, you’re retarded.
A Complete History of My Sexual Failures - Huge movie about an indie film maker that is socially inept. Good laughs.
Tropic Thunder - "I'm David Beckham!!!!"
Let the Right One In - Amazing vampire movie with a heart of gold and a demeanor to match. This movie is adorable, seriously. It’s about a little German boy who falls in love with a girl who got turned into a vampire hundreds of years ago and never aged. It's touching. Really.
Rec - It actually came out in 2007 [in Spain] but it was released via bittorrent in 2008. This is what Quarantine was based on, and what Quarantine completely mutilated. I fucking hate that some idiot chose to make that movie. What a douche bag.
Cloverfield – I’m serious, this movie looked like so much fun to make and every time I saw people doing what they were doing in the movie, I wanted to be in Brooklyn forever. Seriously, fuck me. I want to move.
The Dark Knight – Nuff said.
Synecdoche New York - See it and be amazed.
Stepbrothers - I saw this high out of my mind on a mélange of downers. This movie is HYSTERICAL.
The Strangers - Saw this and went home and turned on ALL the lights. I never do that, ever. I hate to say it, but the Americans beat the French with this one. Way scarier.
Paranoid Park - Gus Van Sant does it right. A truly unforgettable scene amongst a haze of really well-done other scenes. Great script and acting.
Funny Games (US) - Give Michael Pitt an Oscar, he is fucking CREEPY in this remake of the Dutch original. Shot for shot with one extra shot that is a huge kick in the balls to Americans. I loved it.
In Bruges - Fucking AWESOME. And fucking FUNNY.
The Knot - Best Whiskey ever. Go get a bottle and figure it out. Thanks Ireland.
Percocet - I should have found you in 2007.
Matt and Bill
University of Connecticut
*Matt’s list may or may not have links for you to “preview” his top choices.
Vishal Bhatt (holla @ grizzlies cousin!)
the best of 2008*
the worst of 2008
*make sure to click the link for reviews of his top ten.
top 10 sports moments of 2008 (interesting read. plus, no one else did this.)
best TV and movies of 2008
10. the sound of animals fighting - the ocean and the sun
9. evangelicals - the evening descends
8. underoath - lost in the sound of separation
7. stray from the path - villains
6. mgmt - oracular spectacular
5. conor oberst - conor oberst
4. lydia - illuminate
3. colour revolt - plunder, beg, and curse
2. right away, great captain! - the eventually home
1. la dispute - somewhere at the bottom of the river between vega and altair
top ten albums of 2008
1. minus the bear – acoustics ep
2. the helio sequence - keep your eyes ahead
3. conor oberst - conor oberst
4. kanye west – 808s and heartbreak
5. jenny lewis – acid tongue
6. legacy fails – you were a ghost
7. third eye blind – red star
8. as eden burns – the great celestial delusion
9. mgmt – oracular spectacular
10.vampire weekend - vampire weekend
1. Death Cab For Cutie – Narrow Stairs
2. Jenny Lewis- Acid Tongue
3. Conor Oberst – Conor Oberst
4. Adele – 19
5. Kathleen Edwards – Asking For Flowers
6. Cataldo – Signal Flare
7. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
8. The Gaslight Anthem – The ’59 Sound
9. Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
10. Kanye West – 808s & Heartbreak
11. Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago
12. Ray LaMontagne – Gossip in the Grain
13. Dr. Dog – Fate
14. T.I. – Paper Trail
15. Jack’s Mannequin – The Glass Passenger
16. Santogold – Santogold
17. The Killers – Day & Age
18. Coldplay – Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends
19. Tokyo Police Club – Elephant Shell
20. Anathallo – Canopy Glow
Top 15 Songs of 2008
Top 10 Albums of 2008
note: this is my co-columnist for sound check, the column i have at the daily cougar (university of houston)
Top 25 Records of 2008
1 Snoleoparden - Snoleoparden
2 The Walkmen - You & Me
3 El Guincho - Alegranza
4 Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
5 Black Mountain - In The Future
6 Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
7 Little Joy - Little Joy
8 Animal Collective - Water Curses EP
9 The Ruby Suns - Sea Lion
10 Plants And Animals - Parc Avenue
11 Dead Combo - Lusitania Playboys
12 Santogold - Santogold
13 Coconot - Cosa Astral
14 Air France - No Way Down
15 Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood \ Sun Giant
16 The Bug - London Zoo
17 Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
18 Man Man - Rabbit Habits
19 Sun Kil Moon - April
20 Lindstrøm - Where You Go I Go Too
21 Quiet Village - Silent Movie
22 Deerhunter - Microcastle
23 M83 - Saturdays = youth
24 Lykke Li – Youth Novels
25 Pete and the Pirates - Little Death
Top 20 Albums of 2008
20. Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
19. Able Baker Fox - Voices
18. The Dodos - Visiter
17. She & Him - Vol: One
16. Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell
15. No Age - Nouns
14. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
13. Santogold - Santogold
12. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins
11. Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs
10. Q- Tip - the renaissance
9. Kid Cudi - A Kid Named Cudi
8. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
7. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
6. T.I. - Paper trail
5. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
4. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
3. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak
2. Vampire Weekend - S/T
1. The Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound
top ten albums of 2008
10. rhys chatham & his guitar trio all stars - guitar trio is my life!
9. the raconteurs - consolers of the lonely
8. she and him - volume one
7. sun kil moon - april
6. fleet foxes - fleet foxes
5. beck - modern guilt
4. sigur ros - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
3. adele - 19
2. robyn - robyn
1. colour revolt - plunder beg and curse
cemetery shakedown on myspace.
Houston, TX (check em out)
20 MOVIES YOU SHOULD'VE RENTED IN 2008 (IN NO ORDER)
Across the Universe
Why You Should See It: Visually stunning and sonically captivating, this is the ultra sensory experience of the year.
Why You Should See It: Experience high school again, but this time around see your classmates in a new light and reevaluate the whole experience.
Why You Should See It: Anton Yelchin gives a surprisingly good performance as the titular character, and Robert Downey, Jr. as his alcoholic principal certainly doesn't hurt either.
The Dark Knight
Why You Should See It: I could give you a million reasons, but really at this point, it just comes down to peer pressure, doesn't it?
Why You Should See It: While it looks like just another "Death Wish" knock-off, this movie will truly surprise you with how far it goes to show the tragedy of violence and how much it will resonate with you.
Why You Should See It: This may be the most overall beautiful film of the year, shot across 18 countries in a 4 year span, and the craftsmanship shows.
Why You Should See It: Intriguing characters and infinitely quotable dialogue catapulted this indie comedy into the limelight where it wholly belongs.
The King of Kong
Why You Should See It: This just shows how excellent film making can make even the most boring or trivial subjects come to life, suck you in, and entertain the hell out of you.
Kung Fu Panda
Why You Should See It: Not only is this the best animated film of the year, but it's certainly one of the funniest.
Lars and the Real Girl
Why You Should See It: You would expect a movie about a man in love with a sex doll to be so heartwarming, but this movie is really about the lengths people will go to support the ones they love..
No Country for Old Men
Why You Should See It: Tommy Lee Jones' crusty sheriff and Javier Bardem's psychopath put this gripping thriller over the top.
Why You Should See It: This one's well worth sitting through the subtitles for, as it is by far the scariest and most suspenseful film of the year.
Why You Should See It: A story of honor, integrity, and personal strength, this surprisingly great flick is rounded out by an amazing cast that makes it a must-see.
Why You Should See It: Hands down the most outrageous, ridiculous, and absolute funniest film of the year.
Why You Should See It: Danny Boyle can virtually do no wrong, and this venture into the realm of realistic science fiction is no different.
Why You Should See It: I dare you to NOT be instantly intrigued by a movie about a girl who suffers from "vagina dentata..."
There Will Be Blood
Why You Should See It: In my opinion, this is absolutely the most perfect all-around example of excellent film making this year, from writing to directing to acting..
What Would Jesus Buy?
Why You Should See It: The most creative and entertaining protesting you will ever see, and for what I believe to be one of the greatest overlooked problems in today's society.
Where in the World is Osama bin Laden?
Why You Should See It: Surprisingly funny and eye-opening, this is leaps and bounds better than Spurlock's "Supersize Me" and does a wonderful job show its audience the dangers of thinking ethnocentrically.
Wristcutters: A Love Story
Why You Should See It: Creative, compelling, insightful, and entertaining--this is the most original film of the year.
After much lazy laze. Here is my 'Best Things I've Heard This Year' list. It might be albums, it might be singles, it might be from last year. Enjoy.
5. Thrice- The Alchemy Index: Vol. IV Earth (album)
10. M83- Up! (single)
4. Lupe Fiasco/Justice- The Coolest vs. Let There Be Light (single)
11. Kill The Noise- Hey You (Le Castle Vania Remix) (single)
7. Innerpartysystem- Innerpartysystem (album)
13. Grum- Go Back (Le Castle Vania Remix) (single)
15. Coldplay- Viva La Vida (single)
12. Burden Of A Day- Burden Of A Day (album)
6. Astronautalis- Two Years Before The Mast (single)
1. Emery- Broken Hearts Will Prevail (album)
3. Kanye West- 808 and Heartbreak (album)
2. The Twelves- Anything I heard by them
14. Glassjaw- You Think You're John Fucking Lennon (single)
8. Cut Copy- Lights and Music (Boys Noize Remix) (single)
9. Lies In Disguise- Penis Vs. Vagina (single)
the nine albums i liked in 2008:
1. cut copy - in ghost colours
2. mgmt - oracular spectacular
3. crystal castles - crystal castles
4. ra ra riot - the rhumb line
5. santogold - santogold
6. portishead - third
7. the cool kids - the bake sale ep
8. lykke li - youth novels
9. t.i. - paper trail
p.s. thanks to everyone who took their time to submit. twas fun. expect our lists by christmas -- happy holidays.